Thursday 29 October 2015

Goodies!

Knitting news!
Still working on my Countess Ablaze socks, cast off sock 1 and have cast on sock 2, still on the leg; hoping I can finish it in time for the Brit Yarns British socks KAL in her ravelry group.
And again I have failed to knit on the helical, ten stitch blanket or the gooseberry pie jumper. Also, I have some requested christmas knits to do that I'm yet to start.
Spinning news!
I haven't done any spinning (as predicted) due to my son being off school this week, fingers crossed the stunning sherbet dip Shetland will be plied next week as I've so much loveliness that wants spinning :)
Note to crafters!
I think all crafters have experienced this at some point, people expecting you to make things for free, not only do non crafters seem to lack the knowledge of how expensive materials can be, but also that time in itself is precious. I've known people want cashmere blend yarns for hats and scarves, only to be surprised at the price difference between that and a merino or BFL yarn. I've also known people admire a shawl only to be surprised that the yarn cost £30 and it took a month to knit. Non crafters seem to love the finished items but be amazed at the time and money we crafters give over to our love of making things.
I can't comment for everyone but I know that for myself my crafting (mainly knitting and spinning these days) brings me joy and being that I rarely go out I class my craft supplies as my vice, instead of spending money on smoking or drinking, I buy yarn/fibre/needles etc. People may think I have too much, and I might agree at times, but why shouldn't I find a little joy if I can, it isn't harming anyone and I get to give wonderful yarny treats to people I care about. My son isn't going without to fund my yarn or fibre addiction and I'm not neglecting to pay vital bills or get into debt, it brings me a small amount of control in a world filled with chaos and the difficulties that come with having a child with special needs. My apologies this seems to have turned into a mini rant, it was just supposed to be a fun slogan I saw and a note to not let yourself be taken advantage of in relation to your craft, whatever it may be :) in lighter news, onto goodies :)
Goodies!
My Owl About Yarn fibre arrived and it is superb; I don't often like yellow but the candy corn colourway jumped out at me, if I spin it similar to my previous Polwarth from her I could use them together in a colourful project :) The others are, of course also magnificent and the disco lights silk blend is so soft it's fabulous, while the grown up girl merino is earthy and subtle while still being vivid; I hope I can spin them all well :)
Much to my surprise she sent me a free gift that is very appropriate, the acorn bag with leaves lining is not only adorable but represents my home town (named for a ring of acorn trees). It was much appreciated and I can't wait to use it, it's a box style bag and could be used for a small project bag or a large notions case, either way it's beautiful and was very thoughtful of her, check out her latest update on etsy (linked above) for yourself or some wonderful and reasonably priced gifts :)
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment