Wednesday 30 October 2013

Books, comics and a pumpkin

I've been buying again lol books this time, mostly sock based, kind of...

Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks! by Judith Durant

This is good for ideas of projects involving sock yarn but that are hats, cowls, mittens etc. Some good ideas but limited in sizing for some as not given multiple stitch counts etc.

Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear Updated Edition by Nancy Bush

This book contains the history of socks and styles. It also has patterns in for socks from around the world, again limited in sizings given but good inspiration for socks if you can modify the patterns to fit. The sock instructions are given for 3 DPN needles and one working needle (4 total).

Toe-Up 2-At-A-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes 

This book uses the magic loop method rather than DPNs and as the title suggests builds socks two at a time rather than one at a time. I've never made toe up socks before so got this out of curiosity, some say this method is easier but I do so like my DPNs. This book is spiral bound so makes actually working form the patterns easier than the other two.

 
I also bought a (kind of) graphic novel that I've read before and loved.

But I Really Wanted to be an Anthropologist by Margaux Motin

It's a kind of biography of the day to day life of the author, I love all sorts of the stories she tells...referring to the difficulty of dressing nicely as a mother, the things that happen to your body post labour and best of all what happens to partners who film you dancing like a loon to 'I like to move it, move it'. A hilariously funny read with simple illustration that enhances every story :)

Last of all, it is hallowe'en tomorrow, my favourite holiday :) also know as Samhain to fellow Pagans such as myself. As is tradition I have carved a pumpkin to put in my window, and after that weather permitting put on my fathers grave. I'm not sure my back, wrists, elbows or shoulders will forgive me for a day or so as the carving takes its toll but I do so love to have one to show :)


So a happy hallowe'en and a blessed Samhain to all )0(
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment