Monday 4 November 2013

ASD book and start of sock

First of all, my new book arrived:
I have an autistic son, he's a bit young for this book but I'm gonna read it now n it'll come in to help him as he grows up a bit. I've only read the first couple chapters but seems simply written and informative without dumbing it down too much for the adults to read too. It has two introductions, one for kids and one for adults, I think that's a nice touch. It explains how having ASD is not a bad thing it just makes you a  little different with regard to communication, behaviour and social skills. I think it'll come in really handy over the years, and think anyone with family who are on the spectrum would find this a useful read.
I've also ordered a book that is a story about ASD and how it can affect a family when there is a child diagnosed with the disorder, although I am a single parent I still think this will be an interesting read and informative as well: Daniel Isn't Talking.

In craft related news...I've cast on my sons wellie socks as part of the Rocking Kitchen KAL for Nov/Dec. I've altered them to be on 5mm needles with chunky yarn and had to change stitch counts etc. so hoping they turn out ok, I'd rather them a little big than small but see what happens.
It being a Christmas KAL I've gone for green and red (also I had some left over yarn from a previous project)...I haven't yet decided if going to do both red with green cuff or do them opposite (so second sock have green with red cuff). I'm also thinking of using duplicate stitch to do a small design on them...it being Christmas was going to do a snow flake but I'm considering doing a jigsaw piece to show support for autism awareness, maybe I could do one on each to make them even more odd lol ..?
Slow going but hoping to finish them to be in with a chance of winning a prize (looking forward to getting the two patterns I won for the hallowe'en KAL thread posts).
I still also have my surprise gift on the needles - really slow going (2mm) - and trying to still do some 8" squares for the the charity knit a square.
Happy crafting...

No comments:

Post a Comment