Tuesday 26 November 2013

Update...sorry kinda long

I've not done too much knitting as getting the secret santa shawl done fast took it's toll on my elbows, but I wanted to make sure it was finished and gift bagged up as soon as possible or I'd end up putting it down then super rushed to finish it and in a lot more pain.
The next item I wanna finish is my surprise knit that's is on 2mm cubics DPNs and it's killing my wrists. I love knitting with them, I'm kinda gutted I have pretty much all the DPNs I need as I'd totally buy more. They cost more than the normal round bamboo DPNs I usually buy, but I really enjoy knitting with them and I like the dark wood (think it's rose wood) material, more flex to them than the bamboo. I have had some issues with sts sliding off but I think that's more that am on such small gauge and sts are close together. Though I still love my bamboos the tips just aren't as pointed so can be difficult on first couple of sts on a needle (depending on the yarn). 
 
I've ordered some more knit pro needles (the cubics are knit pro) but these are 12mm circular, for a double chunky shawl I'd like to try, I'd like some 15mm circulars too at at least 80cm but can't seem to find any (comment below if you know of a seller please). I'd really love the Hiya Hiya interchangeable circular sets (both small and large, preferably in steel) but at £49.99 each I think am gonna have to pass for now...gutted but just don't have £99.98 to spend on circulars when I have most of what I need, I'd just really like all possible ones I might need lol call me over prepared lol You get multiple tips, plus 4 cables in a case...want so bad lol envious of my friend who has some. The tips can rotate in the cable without unscrewing from the cable so think this would be a really good feature for someone like me who seems to twist me needles a lot.

I've finished the simple square with chunky yarn, it's a little smaller than 8" (could do with blocking but am lazy and hate blocking) but it's not so bad that it won't fit in with a little stretch, and honestly not all my squares are exact anyway. Think they can manage to get them all in the blankets though, says don't need to be too precise on the website. For any new readers the 8" squares are for Knit a Square, a charity that helps keep cold AIDS orphans warm buy making them blankets (made up from 35 8" squares sewn together). (Square is a little curled at the edges.)
I've got a scarf to start for a friend too but keep putting it off, when I know I shouldn't, he's being very patient with me. I just know that with it being knit length ways (I now hate doing scarves width ways) that I'm gonna be in pain after just one row and it puts me off even casting it on for now. But I will start it soon, I have to or I'll get mad at myself.

I also want to make the lovely Pepo Pie waist coat for my little boy. He loves me making him things and he could really use the layers right now, the weather has turned rather cold. I keep buying him lovely knit jumpers but he doesn't get as excited as when he's seen me making it and tried it on and things. Unless it involves Lightening McQueen or Woody/Buzz, which right now none of his clothes do, though anything with them on grabs his attention from baking kits, stickers and wrapping paper to actual toys.
I also want to make the Millie tank top, not only for myself but a friend too...I do not have enough hours in a day, what a time for my joints to crap out on me...
And on top of all those to make items, my friend Joeli has released a wonderful hat pattern called Turtle Soup. It's awesome! The colours can be anything you want but she has used yellow & green for one son and red & white for her other son. I love the design, it's funky and bold, but still something that's not so out there that you'd get crazy looks as you walk around. the colour work looks quite simple (though I'm rather bad at it) but I'd really like to give it a go down the line. She also designed the Foxy Loxy hat I made my son, I'm thinking of making one of those in baby size as my cousin and friend are both expecting and are unsure of gender so I think it could be good for both boys and girls :) though I may make a traditional Heirloom Bonnet. I haven't quite decided yet. I'd love to make a green baby blanket for my cousin that they could keep but not sure if I could get it done in time as would have to really take it slowly (green because that's the neutral she's chosen to go with incase she has a boy or a girl). 
The weather has gotten so cold I've finally treated myself to a feather and down quilt :) Can't wait to see how much warmer it is than my really old falling to pieces quilt I've been putting up with in a freezing room with a broken window. Got it in the half price sale or I'd never have even considered it :)
I also got a bargain duffel coat for my son :) It's red and I love it, I was little concerned at first that he might look like a girl but my mum and the shop lady assure me he doesn't and that duffel coats are unisex, I knew that last part but just wanted to be sure, he likes to have a pink dummy so didn't want him too feminine lol Got it for £10, half the normal price which was an added bonus. It's age 2-3 years and he's 3 (so you'd think it a little small) but it fits him just fine :)
I also bought some rather sparkly buttons, hoping to make a badge or maybe shoe clips :) out of them, my sis mentioned she'd like some shoe clips a while ago and she's really into sparkles (she's team Edward who'd have guessed lol) and girly, glitzy, glamour type style...especially if she's going out.
 
I have so much to do...hope your lists are smaller...happy crafting :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment