Monday 13 October 2014

Owls! Cheviot! And updates...

I've finished the family of owls for Clare, 5 babies n a mummy :)
They aren't as neat as I'd hoped but she said she's happy with them.
I'm also working on the socks, I said I would, though still nervous about fit and things...gonna start ribbing soonish...
I unraveled my 100g undyed corriedale from Yarndale and made it into a braid, the ends are a bit blobby but it's fairly neat otherwise lol
I soaked it in a pan of water...
My son and I added red, yellow, blue and green food dye to it with sponges...it mostly came out...total fail and completely my own fault lol he lost interest so I coated it in some red food dye...it looked kinda odd but ok...
Then I microwaved it and unwrapped it...then soaked it again...and most of the red came out too lol it's a good job my boy likes pink lol
And now it's time to dry before prepping it to spin...hopefully there'll still be some pink left once dry as it's darker wet than dry lol -fingers crossed- lol Wondering if I could try dyeing it again after it's spun up into my crazy yarn...
So basically I'm a big fail at dyeing lol but I'll give it another go I'm sure, just add more dye and lemon juice initially and hope it sets better...
I'm also still working on the shawl for my mum...though no new pics to show, it is growing slowly, wishing I'd done one with purl and garter sections as not sure what my mum will think of a plain garter stitch shawl...
I also finished spinning the cheviot fibre (from the lovely Deb at Fondant Fibre). The second half had even less yardage than the first, kind of disappointed with myself, hoping it's not as good (as some of my previous yarns) just coz I didn't enjoy it as much as spinning softer fibres and not coz I'm getting worse rather than better lol
I personally found the cheviot a bit scratchy for my own tastes but I love the colours, hoping to be able to make something out of it...or gift it, if anyone can stand it with it's over spun, energised look and inconsistent thickness...
I got 50 yards/45.7m of what I think is at least a chunky, if not a double chunky, though I haven't actually checked the wraps per inch to clarify that. The colours are stunning and create interest as you spin and see them changing and going from solid chunks to barber pole looking sections :)
Got into a couple of new podcasts :) 'foxes in socks' and 'knit all the things' both are available to watch on youtube, I watch a lot of podcasts lol
Think that's it for this week craft wise...though been to the hydro pool again which was a lot of fun :)
Happy Crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment