Sunday 2 August 2015

Sorry it's a long one...knitting, spinning and holiday

I 2 plied the mixed Finn and silk and only got 66.75m from 100g. Extremely bad yardage but I found this one difficult to spin so needless to say I won't be ordering more until I'm a more experienced spinner.
I went on holiday last Saturday so I re waxed my bobbins and waxed my new bobbins so I could use them as soon as I got back, I knew I'd miss my wheel...and I did lol
I had some left over singles from the mixed finn/silk and some previous purple (from my spindle) so I plied them together on my spindle as a small sample size skein.
I cast on and knit about 3 rounds before setting off on holiday and worked quite a bit on this school jumper whilst away. It's twisted rib at the bottom, which I've never done before and looks really good in my opinion :) I'm using the numbers from the foxy loxy DK jumper but I'm not doing colourwork. This was on day 2 I think of my holiday and today I'm done with the lower body and cast on the first sleeve.

Whilst on holiday I took my drop spindle and random rolags from fondant fibre, this blue was the first I spun up and it's stunning, with hints of purple and green, it's super pretty and I'd love a full 100g/200g in it lol
I also got a spindle form hilltop cloud for my friend to learn to spin, she got started on some whitefaced woodland, and I've ordered her some other fibres to play with too :)
I finished the random rolags singles and put them on toilet roll tubes ready to ply when I got home. Each tube has 3 colours on it (with 1 rolag left over in case my friend wants to try a different prep). I found some easier to spin than others as they had different fibre content, though I'm not sure what (random), but some had loads of sparkle, some just a little and some none at all. Overall though I'd say a fun spin :)
The last day of our holiday was the nicest weather wise and we all went for a walk up the hill, my son loved all but the squishy bits (there were some damp areas under the trees) and he enjoyed collecting stones. He walked most of the way and looked super cute in his new holiday clothes :)
When I got home I plied the random rolags on my kiwi 2 instead of a spindle, I love how it's turned out with the mix of colours and each of the three not lining up exactly with the other singles three colours. 
The finished 2 ply yarn was 66.5m from 51g of rolags which I'm happy with :) 
I ordered a vertical lazy kate while on holiday and it arrived when I got home a day later, super fast delivery. When it's not being used for plying I'll use it for bobbin storage :)
This was another I cast on and did just a bit on so it sould be a holiday knit, though I didn't work on it as much. It's the blue whale shawl by Stephen West, I'm using countess ablaze sparkle sock and am working on section 2. This was a sock blank and I've wound it into a ball, it's very kinky and changes tension/gauge even more than usual so not sure what I think...
I started spinning one of my earliest fibre purchases...sw merino in the meadowsweet from fondant fibre and have spun the first half of the singles so far.
So that's all the crafting, feel like I've done lots and not at the same time lol it was wonderful to go away with my friend Bekki, she made me a blue and white knot bracelet that looks like anchors which I love and wear everyday. Wish the weather had been a bit nicer so we could have gone out a bit more but still an enjoyable holiday with stunning views right out our windows :) I'd defiantly be willing to go there again and away with Bekki again if not the two together :)
I've gotta get spinning as ordered yet more fibre, for both myself and some for Bekki too :)
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment