Sunday 30 August 2015

Test Knit News: the reveal + new knit

So my secret test knit is now not secret and the pattern is available in a kit by @yarntasia on instagram, the design is by sparklepunk-creations and will be available soon on her ravelry store.
The fingerless mitts can be worn up as gauntlet style mitts or folded down and buttoned to be cute steampunk style mitts. I used a cute toadstool button, coz that's kinda my style but these would look awesome with a traditional button or something like an old cog wheel attached. The texture work allows for the pattern to look good in both variegated (as I used) or a solid/semi solid yarn and still be interesting.
The mitts are designed for sport or DK weight yarn, I used DK from laal bear (sorry she's no longer dying but you may find some of her yarns in de-stashes on ravelry) in her coneflower colourway on her dale base (50% British BFL 50% masham) on 2.75mm needles for a firm fabric and a good sized set of mitts. Please note that I am a rather loose kntiter and almost always need to drop needles sizes in patterns.
So that was test knit number one finished, and I started test knit number two.
This test knit is for Joeli's kitchen and is for a childrens jumper. I swatched to check gauge, and good thing too as I needed to go down to 5mm (recommended is 5.5mm), but I tried both to be sure, measured the swatch before and after washing and then spoke with the designer before determining 5mm was definitely the right choice. Note this is a bad and wet representation of the colour lol
I'm using cascade eco + yarn in the pumpkin spice colourway, it's really nice, hand wash only (which is something I usually avoid with my son) yarn which has me a little nervous but I think it'll be ok. The colour is hard to capture, but it's a lovely red/orange/brown that is almost like rich rust, it looks better than it shows up or I make it sound lol Also note the yarn is categorised as chunky/bulky on ravelry but was sold as and knits up as aran yarn for me, I'd be happy going down to a 4.5mm needle for a plain stocking stitch item.
This design isn't secret as the designer revealed it on her instagram feed but I'm not going to show more progress till it's finished as it's a cable feature panel and I'm nervous I'm going to make a mistake lol
Hope you like the look of, or sound of both and check out the designers for more interesting knits to make for family and friends or indeed yourself :)
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment