Saturday 24 January 2015

I totally didn't break my yarn diet!

I'm not a fan of obligation knitting, I like to make things because I want to...that being said, I've agreed to some knitting for my step dad. It's meant ordering yarn from felt fusion, but as I didn't pay for it, and as I wouldn't have needed to buy yarn if he wasn't very specific about what he wanted...it totally doesn't count, and I had none of either colour in my stash to use for his project. As far as I'm concerned I haven't bought yarn since Boxing day, I'm still on a diet, at least until I've knit some more of my stash.
My step dad wants a hat and scarf, originally he said highly cabled (I felt like crying, I'm not a strong cable knitter) but he saw my barley hat and said that would be fine, along with a garter stitch scarf knit length ways (as he wants a couple stripes running vertically). He originally wanted the MCN base, but when he realised how many balls he'd need and the price difference he settled for the sw merino. The merino is a lovely yarn so I'll enjoy the feel of knitting it, but so much dark charcoal with a little purple is intimidating to say the least...my eyes may feel like bleeding by the time I'm finished lol he literally only wants about 4 rows of purple on the scarf and maybe the cast on and a couple single stripes around the hat. The yarn is ordered and now I'm looking forward to seeing it, and feeling it...even though I have some, new yarn is always nice, even if it's not for me :)
I've finally made a progress on my mums first sock again. This one goes over my ankle so it should on her too lol I've used 2.25mm needles for the cuff, 2.5mm needles for the lace leg, back to 2.25mm needles for the heel and am now on the gusset decreases with 2mm needles as doing stocking stitch. In hind sight I wish I'd done the heel on 2mm too but I don't think I can face ripping back again.
I've discovered heel flaps and gussets take a lot longer, of they feel like it, compared to the fish lips kiss heel. I prefer knitting the fish lips kiss heel, but I can't deny the heel flap does fit well. 
I've sent out a little surprise package to Kay from the bakery bears, a few mini skeins of sock yarn for her crochet memory blanket...hope she likes, I also included information about what the yarn had been used for in a letter.
I've been working on an 8" square for charity, bit of easy knitting for when my brain can't take lace or when I don't have long enough to work on a repeat.
I'm also slowly reading my yarn harlot book "Thing's I learned from knitting...whether I wanted to or not" and I'm really enjoying it :)
That's the knitting information, in other news, I ordered three new sets of bedding...need to wash them but then I can get rid of my old bedding and have brand new for the first time in years...and they all mostly match my bedroom...that's never happened before lol
And now I'm gonna put my headphones on, coz watching Cars so many times a day is really just too much lol (my son watches it over and over again, sometimes up to 7 times a day, and if it's not Cars it's Here Comes A Train, which is only 30 mins long and he watches till bed time once it's on).
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment