Saturday 30 May 2015

FOs and test devistation + a little spinning

I got a spindle and rolags set from Fondant Fibre, they're so soft and squashy I don't want to waste them on my novice spinning lol The spindle is pretty but the whirl is a little higher than I'm used to, I usually wrap some spun yarn around the shaft and into the hook but there isn't the space on this one, testing it out to see how it actually spins :)
I finished my eleventh hour shawl but with a stretchy yo bind off instead of the icord bind off as in pattern, I tried it on a couple small samples and there was just no stretch to it. Yarn is just DK, aran and chunky acrylic form my LYS on 6.5mm needles (pattern calls for bigger but I'm a loose knitter), it has turned out a little smaller than I'd have liked but it may stretch out a bit when washed. I really like this colour combination too, the DK is red, aran is grey and chunky is brown.
This is the milo with the new cable (from the milo bambino) I've cast on, I'm a little further along now but no up to date pictures, one or two repeats to do before the bottom section. I'm really enjoying this lace cable and will defiantly be doing it again. I quite like the semi solid red too :)
I cast on the test knit for Sparklepunk, got 14 repeats into the lace section (of 20) and discovered I was using way too much yarn and was really loose. I'm a loose knitter but thought I'd be ok with the lace section as on socks I do stocking stitch on 2mm and lace on 2.5mm, I thought I may need to go down for the body section but I didn't get that far lol So I had a choice, find a yarn to match and carry on with a bigger than expected test knit, or frog it and start again with smaller needles...
I decided to frog it and start over, I rewound the yarn, though I'm rubbish at center pull balls so it knits from the outside instead :) I tried new needles and needed to go down further still so now it's looking good (I think) but with very different needles than called for. How many repeats I've knit and frogged and knit again I could have finished the lace section by now lol It feels like a wasted 3 or 4 days of knitting but it's better to get it right than be stuck with the yarn running out and nothing that matches it to carry on knitting the pattern. I've enjoyed knitting it, I just wish I'd got the needles right to start with :) Lisa has been helpful and patient with me, bless her, I think I'd have given up on me by now lol
I used one of my small Fondant Fibre samples to test out my new spindle, I'm not sure about the whirl being so high as it's about a cm (maybe less) from the hook and so it's fiddly to get the thread through each time I'm winding on yarn. I'll try another sample to be sure but it may not be for me sadly, will see how it goes.
I've been putting my FOs into a stash dash post and am currently over 1000m so I think I should make the 3k but still not sure about th 5k as I'd need to finish before my holiday which means I'll have a week less and might be pushing it haha I'll see how I go. I keep updating my chat threat post with projects so that when I decide I should be able to just copy it over to the FO thread of choice.
My son still isn't fully better so sleep is elusive, meaning knitting gets difficult too when I;m really tired, wish me luck and my son health :)
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment