Saturday 11 January 2014

70 Beautiful Knits + Caped Crusader

My delivery arrived :D and I'm very happy. The book (or rather thick magazine) is a collection of some of the best patterns from Knit Now magazine. They are separated out into sections: Accessories (this includes shawls, wraps, socks, hats, mitts and cardigans etc.), Knits for your home (such as cushions, and coasters), and Adorable baby makes (this section has lovely baby/toddler cardigans, jumpers, dresses and toys).
(sorry for the awful cover picture)
There are so many things I'd love to make form this one book, some I don't yet have the confidence for as they involve lace knitting (something I've never really done other than the odd yarn over, k2tog patterns etc so these patterns are a little advanced for me, in places at least). There are also some advanced and beginner cables (think I'll stick to beginner level yet lol). The patterns I really wanted with this are:
Bramble Fern set (sweater, hat and mitts)
Little Hipster set (cardigan and hat)
Gamer socks
Tsymon cowl
Passing Places cowl/wrap
Wuthering Heights shawl
These are just my favourites, there are so many more nice once too. Bramble fern was designed by the lovely Joeli Caparco who I've mentioned before, she's the designer of the super cute Foxy Loxy set I've mentioned before.
I'd just been given an old copy of Knit Now magazine with the Passing Places cowl in it but nice to be able to write on one and keep one nice and clean :)
The goodie bag it came with included:
3x 25g balls of yarn
A needle gauge
Point protectors
Yarn information card
4mm and 6mm crochet hooks
2x cable needles
4mm knitting needles (straight)
2.5mm DPNs (set of 4)
10x yarn bobbins
A shawl pin
The yarn converter card I find really useful, and it's small enough to fit in my notions pouch. A needle gauge can always come in handy, though this one will have to stay at home as it's a little wide for my notions pouch. Having spare cable needles is handy, can keep a set in my notions pouch to carry round and a set at home for starting new projects. I've never used yarn bobbins so will have to ask my friend what these are good for. Spare crochet hooks are handy for picking up dropped stitches (if you don't actually crochet, though I can use them for both). I don't often use straight needles any more, I find they irritate my joint problems quicker than circulars or DPNs so these may go to a friend, or maybe my niece who has an interest in knitting :) The DPNs are a nice touch with the book containing a few sock patterns, though being a set of 4 you have to use 3 with stitches on and 1 as working needle (this is how I use DPNs though some people prefer to have 4 needles with stitches on and a 5th as the working needle so it would have been nice to have a set of 5 - especially as Knit Pro sell their DPNs in sets of 6 so you have a spare in the event of one being lost I presume). The yarn can be used for small toys or making something multi-coloured for a baby as you get 75g total.
Overall I'm really happy with the bag (you don't actually get a bag, it comes in a big padded envelope) and think it's good value for money (especially as most of the patterns if sold individually are at least £3 each).
(To buy your very own goodie bag just go to More Mags to see all the other goodies they have as well.)

I've finally wound a skein of my Caped Crusader Babylonglegs radiance aran yarn into 2 balls to make myself some fingerless mitts (my own pattern, I keep amending it for sock weight, DK and aran weight yarns lol it has a lot of writing on the paper in lots of places lol).
Love the colours of this dye lot, blues, greens, greys and yellows. The yarn itself is soft and nicely spun, it doesn't split as I knit with it and is just a joy to use (I want so much more lol). It's 100% merino wool and recommends 4.5mm-5mm needles (I'm using 4mm for my fingerless mitts to add thickness and warmth for the cold winter days to come). The only down side to this yarn is that it is hand wash only, that's not too bad for me but if I made anything for little man he's a tendency to dribble, spill, and wipe things on himself, as well as strip off and throw clothing on floor or even across the room (not looking where it may land), so not really toddler friendly for my particular boy but be good for babies who don't really get messy apart form the odd sicky day etc. I'd love to buy loads of this but would need to decide what to make with it :) and so many nice colours to choose from, you can see some of her dye lots here.
The fingerless mitts shouldn't take long, they're growing really quickly, may even get a picture up tongiht, if not probably tomorrow :)
Happy crafting! :) sorry this post ended up so very long lol

No comments:

Post a Comment