Sunday 26 January 2014

Wellie bag and Cat toy

I often have to carry my sons wellies around as he likes shoes (or just socks on) inside and wellies on while in the pram if it's throwing it down...though his feet get very warm in wellies with his double DK knit socks so they come off quickly when he's had enough lol so basically the story is I often have either shoes or wellies in a bag under the pram and am sick of them ripping and getting muddy and not being reusable...so I've made a wellie bag out of an old towel :) it's super basic but it'll do the job (I hope lol) and it's recycling an old household item that would have other wise ended up the bin eventually.
I folded the towel at top and bottom and sewn it to make space for the draw sting (I used ribbon but this may get changed as a little thick). Then I folded the towel length ways and sew down both sides with straight stitch (and zig zag stictch on inner edge for back up strength and support), pulled the ribbon through the top and presto, one finished wellie bag lol Now it doesn't matter how dirty it gets, it's washable :)

I've also finished the little toy I was making :) it became a cat, and I have the name Herbert in my head so maybe that'll be it's name lol
The body was knitted in the round (as stated on my previous post), I have then crocheted flat limbs on the bottom for legs and picked up some of the side stitches and crocheted in them for arms. I then made an i-cord using this method (how to knit an i-cord) from YouTube to be the tail. I had previously avoided i-cords as I always thought I had to crochet them (and I was scared of dropping the stitches) or use a peg doll (which I hate as it's basically casting off every round and that's one of the worst things of knitting lol) But when I found this video I knew I could do it and so I gave it a go. You can see the tail a little better on the back image below (sorry it's a little blurry I think my camera is on it's last legs).
And just coz I felt a little silly I got a cute pic of baby Amy (a locally hand made doll, not by me lol) and Herbert the cat lol
I think they look super cute. The cat is very basic but actually took a little longer than I expected. Am pretty happy with the finished toy though the stitches I picked up for the arms are a little loose.
I've done another half inch on the cream scarf, though that's only 5 rows or so (which is just over an hour and a half of knitting), can't wait to finish this project for sure lol
I've borrowed a knit pro crochet hook off my friend to see if the grip makes crocheting a little more comfortable again :) I'll review what I think of it once I've made something, gotta be soon as she's round again on Thursday so will give it her back then.
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment